Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Apple Pie Fruit Roll Up (Leather)





My kids love this...so do I!  It tastes just like my homemade apple pie.  Sweet and tart and very appley.

My recipe:

1 quart of peeled and cored apple pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar  (more or less to your taste)
1 T. of Cinnamon  (also adjust to your taste)

Put all into your blender or food processor and blend until as smooth as baby food.
Pour onto the drying sheets for a dehydrator, set on fruit or 135 degrees, and it should be dry in 6 hours or so.  Test by pressing the center, and it should be dry and not tacky if ready
Allow to cool to room temp..then gently lift off in one sheet.  Cut with sizers or pizza cutter, and roll up if you want to.  I don't bother since my kids eat it up so quickly!  It will store for a long time if you vacuum seal it or refrigerate it.

If you don't own a dehydrator, you could also dry it in the oven if you can get the temp set low enough.  Mine won't, so I invested in a nice dehydrator and I do NOT regret it.  I use it almost every day for something.

you can use this same formula to try other fruits, like cherry, strawberry, mixed berries etc.  You can add banana to sweeten if you don't want to add sugar...but you will taste banana.  Have fun experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment