Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Healthier &" Not Gross" Chicken Bites or Nuggets



My 2 kids are nutty about chicken nuggets, bite, strips, fingers(where do these even come from?), anything resembling the dreaded fast food and frozen mystery nuggets. I can't bring myself to feed them those gross things...they are the hotdog of the chicken industry.  Anyhooo...if you want to taste a REAL chicken nugget, I have come up with my own version of what I think tastes alot like my FAVORITE chicken restaurant, Chic-Fil-A's nuggets.  I grow my own chicken so I know what it eats and whatnot, but you can find some organic, free range or pastured chicken if you look hard enough.

First cut up 2 nice big ol breasts into the size pieces you want (we do the bites so they cook fast and are great to dip in sauces) Sprinkle with some salt and let sit a few minutes whilst you mix up the following:
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl or pan:
2 cups flour,
1/4 cup corn starch
1 T. Rosemary
1 T Rubbed Sage
1 T. chili powder
2 T. Salt
1 T. Pepper
1 T Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder

In a separate bowl, mix 2 eggs with a cup of milk and 2 T. Vinegar. Soak 1/2 the pieces in this mix for a few mins and coat well, then transfer the pieces to the dry mix, coat well and fry in preheated cast iron pan in shallow oil (just enough to fry but not cover the pieces over) turn when golden and don't overcook! Repeat with the other 1/2 of the pieces. Fry until crispy and golden brown, drain on paper towel and serve hot with various dips.

You can also do patties for sandwiches using this same coating.

1 comment: