Monday, August 13, 2012

Rhonda's Homemade Laundry Soap

 

2 T. Original Dawn
1/3 Bar Fels Napa Soap (I sometimes use up slivers of my goat milk soap instead), shredded fine (I use a cheese grater blade on my Kitchenaid grinder attachment, or the food processor, unless you love to use the hand grater)
1/2 C. Borax
1/2 C. Washing Soda (not reg. baking soda)

  1. Mix soap w/ 6 cups hot water, heat and stir until melted
  2. Add soda and borax, stir until thick like honey.
  3.  Pour hot tap water in to equal 2 gallons, and add your scent now if desired. I use 1 oz of scented oils per 2 gallons of the laundry soap.  You don't need to use any, as the soap will smell nice and fresh anyway...but your clothes won't retain the smell of it...it would be like using unscented laundry detergent.  Stir , cover , and let set overnite. You will see that it has somewhat jelled. I use my hand blender to even the consistency out and make it easy to pour into gallon jugs with a funnel, and also to dispense better in the washer.

Tip for softener.  I use white vinegar instead of store bought softener.  I just fill the dispenser in my front loader that takes softener.  If you don't have an automatic dispenser, I'd use 3/4 Cup to 1 cup.  I works great!  So now you can do laundry for a few pennies a load vs. the expensive store stuff.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment